What are the highest paid jobs for web developers? Which is the best programming language to learn this year? Did you search for this on Google when you wanted to start out as a developer? Well, I did too. I wanted to follow the ‘reigning‘ language or technology. But that’s not it.
Before starting out as a developer, you need to first get your clear objective – Do I want to be employed, Do I want to start my own business, Do I want to do it for fun or anything. Well I know it all boils down to making money, hahaaha.
Having clear objectives on why you want to do what you do will determine the passion and time you will dedicate to it. Remember, the cost of learning is time.
We will discuss here the possible reasons you would want to become a developer and guide you on how to achieve it sooner than it seems possible.
1. To Get Employed – obviously, this is the main reason most of us start out a career as web developers. If this is also your reason, then you need to focus on a path. When I say path I mean, do you want to be a full stack developer, or a front end developer, or a back end developer. If I should suggest, drop the idea of being a full stack developer for now. This is because it will take you more time to get to your destination. Let’s break down the path.
Front End Developer –
A front–end web developer is responsible for implementing visual elements that users see and interact with in a web application.
What you need to know to be a Front End Developer
- Learn HTML 5 and it’s APIs first.
- Learn CSS and its device responsive features
- Learn a CSS preprocessor such as SASS
- Learn a front-end framework such as bootstrap
- Learn Git and Github
- Learn webpack
- Learn Grunt or Gulp
- Learn AJAX and JSON
Back End Developer –
A back–end developer is a type of programmer who creates the logical back–end and core computational logic of a website, software or information system.
what you need to know to be a Back End Developer
There are many languages for you to choose from to complete your stack as a back-end developer. Python, PHP, Java, Node.js and the list continues. You just have to research and choose the one you understand it’s concepts and you’re comfortable working with.
Remember to follow trends so as not to end up learning a language that is not in demand. All the languages listed above also have many frameworks that will make your coding life a lot easier for you.
But anyone you choose, ensure you understand how to build an API with it, carry out CRUD (Create database request, Read database data, Update database data, Delete database data) operation.
Learn SQL (structure Query Language) for accessing relational database.
Also learn how to use different databases.
2. To start your own business – Few persons choose this path but if you want to become a web developer so as to own your own business then your learning curve is different. You don’t only need to learn all the technologies listed in (1) above but you also have to learn how to manage a team, how to handle clients, different technologies to use that are also in trend and so on.
One thing to note is that you don’t need to waste time learning all listed in (1) above. This is because you will employ people to do the task for you, you only need to have the basic idea in order to properly manage them. So your skills needs to be geared towards managing your employees and your clients.
3. For fun – If you are learning web development for fun, well just browse on recent technologies and play around with them. You can use online tools such as code pen to play around and see what you can do. If later you change your mind, then 1 and 2 are there to guide you.
Programming is fun if you see it as that but when you make mistake you might end up being frustrated. Remember, always have a reason to do something because that’s when we can achieve success in it.
There are many online courses you can participate in to get the basic knowledge you need to get started. For everything and anything you learn, build something out of it. Keep learning and never stop because that’s how you change levels to expert.
I want your suggestion and contributions. Please drop them in the comments below. If you enjoyed this, then like and share.
Thank you for reading.